May 7, 2012

Unemployed and Exhausted

The past week and a half has flown by!  I couldn't believe it had been so long since I posted last.  It feels like lots of things have happened but I'm not sure they really have.  I'm managing to keep myself fairly busy and I'm finding that I'm more exhausted than I ever thought possible while unemployed!

Before I get into a quick recap here's a quote I think is fairly appropriate for today and for my new location:  "Nothing is particularly hard if you divide it into small jobs"-Henry Ford.  I have to say, at this moment, I disagree with Mr. Ford.

I've been trying to take advantage of the relatively decent weather we've been having so I decided to start tackling the outside work.  Oh my goodness is there a lot of it!  I tried to divide up the work, you know, one flower bed or section a day.  That did not pan out quite like I thought.  It's taking so much longer to do everything than I thought it would.  This is why I disagree with Mr. Ford at the moment.  This whole divide it and it'll be easier is definitely not my experience this past week.  I do still have hope that once we get everything cleaned up a bit we'll have a nice yard to show for it but wow is it taking a lot of work to get there.  Thankfully Matt has been a trooper and is helping me out on the weekends and some weeknights.  It's nice to have him around for the heavy lifting :)  We've gotten quite a bit done but it just feels like there's crazy amounts left.  I'll post some pictures as soon as it's nice enough to go outside and take some.

Besides spending my time working on our front and back yards I've also been volunteering quite a bit at Gilda's Club.  I've gotten to be decent friends with the Development Director (it's nice to have someone local who will serve as a reference for me) and I've been reminded why I liked non-profit development so much.  I'm mostly helping her get an auction in order for an event coming up next week but its just nice to be back in a non-profit office again.

I've been applying for jobs as I find ones that seem like they'd be a good fit.  For some of them I need to figure out how much I'm willing to push my comfort zone.  There are some openings with organizations that have really great missions and are definitely needed in this area but it mostly comes down to how comfortable I am working in some rough areas of Detroit.  That's something I'm still mulling over.  I'll let you know what I decide!

No comments:

Post a Comment