April 25, 2012

World Penguin Day



Today is world penguin day....one of the best days of the year! :)  I absolutely love penguins.  One of the great things about living in Royal Oak is the Detroit Zoo is actually in Royal Oak- and they have a penguinarium!  I can't wait to visit the zoo.  Which brings me to today's post (it actually isn't all about penguins believe it or not)-I need to start exploring.

I/We haven't had an opportunity to really explore what this area has to offer.  We've been focusing so much on getting the house set that we just haven't been to any of the big attractions.  After this weekend I think our new place will really start to feel like ours (hopefully).  We're planning on hitting up some rummage sales this weekend to find some decent bargains on furniture and other random things and to tackle some of the yard work.  I'm really hoping that after this weekend we can start using the weekends to explore some of the museums, towns, and sights this area has.  I feel like I did a fairly good job of familiarizing myself with the layout of the town and some of the downtown area.  Now I think it's time we start branching out more.

I have found one way to get out of the house-starting tomorrow I will be volunteering at the Metro Detroit Gilda's Club which is right here in Royal Oak.  I met the Development Director at my first AFP meeting and then submitted my volunteer application.  The Development Director gave me a call and she needs help with some event planning.  So I'm starting tomorrow!  I'm pretty excited to help an organization that I feel a real connection to and to start making some more solid connections and relationships with people in the nonprofit world here.  I also think it'll be good for me to have a reason to get up and leave the house in the morning!

Well it's about time that I get outside and enjoy the beautiful sunshine.  There is a wonderful lack of wind today so I think it's a great day for me to go out and start trimming back some of the overgrown plants/shrubs/weeds.  I've posted some "before" pictures of the outside of the house.  I'll post pictures occasionally to show the progress!
   





No comments:

Post a Comment