May 16, 2012

The Big Day

The Gilda's Club event is today!  Which I'm pretty happy about only because I've been spending a lot of time volunteering and neglecting some house stuff I should be doing.  I've really enjoyed helping out and getting to know some of the people there (well really only one person but she's been great!).  It'll be nice to see the venue and how everything ends up working tonight.  It'll be a long day for me-I'm heading in in about an hour and won't be home until 10 or so.  Once again-how am I so busy and still unemployed!?!?

Which speaking about unemployed; I did have a job interview last week.  It seems like a good organization and the people I met were very nice.  The interview went well-they emailed me 45 minutes later to come in for a second and final interview.  The only issue was that it was in a pretty rough part of Detroit and serving a very at risk population.  There had been some incidents of violence and theft (cars broken into) on-site as well.  Matt and I talked about it and just decided that the location and goal of the organization just weren't right for me.  So back to waiting, looking, and more waiting.  At first I felt a little bad turning down the second interview but I think I would have felt trapped at work every day.  Hopefully something else will come along soon.  I knew finding something would be challenging especially since I'm being pretty particular about what I want but I am starting to get a little bit worried I won't find something.  Thankfully Matt has been super supportive and is completely fine with me being a bit picky about a job.  After all that was part of the deal we made with moving here.

Well I know this is a short post but I have to go get ready to head to Gilda's Club (and clearly there needs to be a starbucks stop on the way in :) ).  I did lots of work outside yesterday and will post pictures probably tomorrow.

Before I go though I just wanted to say a belated Happy Mother's Day to all of the wonderful women in my life.  Of course this includes my fantastic mother and grandma's but also all of the women who have been like surrogate mom's to me, friends, confidants and advisors.  I love all of you and wouldn't be who I am today without any of you.  Thank you!

1 comment:

  1. Katie - I always enjoy reading your posts. I think you're doing an amazing job of settling into a new community. I'm proud of you for getting involved with Gilda's Club, good luck with the event. Maybe this weekend you can do some yard work, I know I plan to be working in the garden!!

    All the best!
    Pam

    ReplyDelete