April 12, 2012

A Few Firsts

Well I've officially been in Michigan for over a week now.  The first week definitely went differently than I'd expected and more quickly than I thought it would.  I think my biggest accomplishment thus far is that I haven't just isolated myself within our house!  Matt and I have had a few outings together and I've made it a point to leave the house and go somewhere new each day on my own.  I think this quote by Frederick Buechner sums up my attitude towards my little outings pretty well- "Faith is not being sure where you're going, but going anyway."  I know no matter where I end up (which quite frankly sometimes I have no idea where the hell I am) I can always tell my GPS to take me home and everything will be fine.  It's all about the journey not the destination, right?

So far my adventures have found me traveling to Starbucks (where I currently am because we still don't have internet at home), the post office, Target, Bed Bath and Beyond, the hardware store and a grocery store.  Who would have thought doing such basic things would make me so proud of myself!  I even managed to find my way to and from the grocery store without my GPS (granted I ended up at a different grocery store than I originally intended but hey-at least I came home with some food!).  I've also attended my first ever AFP meeting and have joined their mentorship program.  All in all I think it's been a productive first week for my little solo adventures.

Matt and I have been able to do a few outings together too which is always fun.  We found a decent restaurant last Friday.  It's actually a brewery but just not quite like the ones back in Madison so until I get more used to it I'm choosing to just call it a restaurant.  Although, I will give them credit-their Friday fish fry was not awful :)  Then on Tuesday, Matt came home and surprised me with tickets to the Ingrid Michaelson concert which was last night right here in Royal Oak.  Definitely a much appreciated distraction from trying to find a job, dealing with the continual construction workers at our house, and attempting to get some semblance of organization in the house.  I'm pretty excited about the venue the concert was at.  It was somewhat reminiscent of the Madison favorites The Barrymore and Majestic combined.  All in all a great outing.

While things are still not quite how I would prefer/hope/like them to be-I'm at least getting better at handling things.  I hope I can keep this trend going in the next couple of weeks-we'll see how much things test my patience!

No comments:

Post a Comment